Head, Packaging Development (Billerica)
Compensation: $31,630.00 - $44,390.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Consumer Product/Consumer Packaged Goods/Packaging
*Please be aware of an Identity Theft Scheme targeting individuals seeking jobs with Takeda and other employers. See below or here for more info.
Takeda fosters a collaborative and stimulating work environment filled with opportunity and the chance to make a difference in people's lives. It is a workplace driven by integrity, one of Takedas long-held values that extends to both the patients we serve and our employees who develop and deliver medicines. Across our company, Takeda employees bring together diverse strengths that together create a stronger whole.
As one of the worlds leading biopharmaceutical companies, Takeda is committed to bringing Better Health and a Brighter future to people worldwide. We aspire to bring our leadership in translating science into life-changing medicines to the next level, in our core focus areas; oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, rare diseases, plasma-derived therapies, and vaccines.
We are a passionate team doing important work that impacts patients lives. If you are driven to create better health and a brighter future, join us!
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the traits were looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Recognized for our culture and way of working, were one of only select companies to receive Top Global Employer status for 2019.
Job ID SR0035727 Date posted 05/01/2019 Location Lexington, Massachusetts
- This role is critical for medical devices and combination products packaging development with patients and user friendly pharmaceutical packaging in close collaboration with human factors and usability engineering.
- The Head of Packaging Development is accountable for leading a team responsible for the development of packaging across product presentations. The team will be developing innovative and creative packaging solutions which meet the needs and requirements of our patients, manufacturing teams, and quality teams.
- This group will be responsible for developing the specifications for all medical devices packaging components, along with finished combination products packaging. The team's overall focus will be on innovative packaging to enhance patient experience, reducing defect rates, and improving product safety.
- This position will be leading team of packaging engineers and requires extensive knowledge in pharmaceutical packaging development. This position will work closely with our packaging engineers to develop innovative packaging while managing due dates and project timelines. Solid understanding of packaging materials, manufacturing processes and experience in global packaging standard for the medical devices and combination products is required.
- The team will use a combination of principles of packaging technology, design engineering, innovation and human interface engineering. This position will provide guidance to the team for novel conceptual and innovative new packaging designs at Takeda, This role will also be involved in the concept development of secondary packaging for devices to regulatory submission, and will be working very closely with the device engineering team, the human factors engineering team, device product team and product strategy partners to develop and tests design concepts.
- The team will work closely with the packaging engineering group(s) in Global Manufacturing & Supply (GMS) to coordinate device packaging and support product and device registration globally.
- The team will have the ability to explore user interface between product, device and patients, use packaging design and will ensure proper documentation to support DHF.
- Provide technical and strategic leadership and management for the development of packaging / labeling processes.
- Lead and manage functional teams, including resource management, prioritization, critical assessment of technical work, support of project teams, and developing relationships with functional partners
- Provide leadership and create strategies to evolve the capabilities of the organization in alignment with Takeda's strategies, growing health authority expectations, and changing external medical device product competitive landscape
- Drive a culture of innovation and high-quality science and engineering
- Influence regulatory strategies and provide guidance and reviews of regulatory information packages and filings/submissions
- Support the team to develop innovative new packaging concepts, Manage packaging design activities by designing and developing, packaging solution to offer to stakeholders.
- Lead, manage and execute all aspects of a packaging project delivering early phase evaluation to stakeholders. Accountable for delivering on specific performance indicators, including but not limited to: (a) successful concept design solutions, (b) visualization of concepts and prototyping as appropriate, (c) successful human factors studies, (d) supporting regulatory submission, and (e) realistic and manufacturable design concepts
- May be the Process Owner and /or the Execution Lead, for one or more processes, including but not limited to: (i) New Device Packaging Technology Acquisition, (ii) New Device Package Introduction, (iii) Combination Product and Device Packaging, (iv) Packaging & Art-Work Specifications process including device instructions for use, (v) Packaging Process Development including demonstration and starter kits
- Ensures proper level of documentation and covers packaging related DHF aspects
- Serve as an early concept Package Engineer to the Device Product Technical Teams
- Will partner with packaging group(s) in GMSGQ to ensure quality in product packaging and drive elimination of customer complaints relating to device and combination products packaging.
- Will partner with packaging group(s) in GMSGQ to ensure knowledge transfer related to on-market product packaging.
- Must build and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external partner organizations including but not limited to; Component Suppliers, Contract packagers, Product Strategy Leads, Quality Assurance, Procurement, Business Development, Research and the Brand Teams.
- To remain current with developments in their respective specialization or practice by actively engaging in and participating in professional organizations.
- Represents device development and external manufacturing on development teams as appropriate by interfacing with Regulatory, Marketing, Product Strategy Leaders, Global Labeling Operations and other internal or external customers on new and existing products introductions.
- This position requires substantial knowledge and experience in leading global packaging R&D organization.
- Excellent leadership skill and proactive stakeholder engagement are key to meet the expectation of internal customer in PS and external customers (GPT, GMSGQ, PVPS/Commercial).
- BS + 15 years experience, or MS + 13 years experience, or PhD and/or MBA + 10 years experience.
- Chemical Engineering or other relevant Engineering field, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or related field with related experience in the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Strong technical and scientific skills with proven experience in development of drug product manufacturing processes and/or packaging solutions for biologics in primary containers and devices.
- Direct experience in packaging partner / contract packaging development and mfg. is required.
- Proven track record of leading and driving global scale business process transformation and organizational culture change as well as delivering on programs with complex business deliverables is a plus.
- Track record of successful leadership, management, and development of teams is required.
- Proven knowledge and application of cGMP requirements and demonstrated application of industry guidance/standards document (e.g., ISPE, PDA, ASTM, ISO, ICH, Pharmacopeias) and Regulatory combination product guidance documents applicable to the role. Strong problem solving skills, excellent communication and cognitive skills, proven capabilities in Computer Aided Designs (CAD) and Product Development rendering skills.
- Good understanding of manufacturing process and packaging constructions methods. Ability to work in team, fulfills commitments and managing multiple stakeholders. Experience in drafting portions of combination product technical content. Proven ability to author user requirement specifications, technical protocols, reports and assessments. Previous project team experience with technology transfer. Hands on experience with the concept development and feasibility testing.
- Experience in global product launches and the associated CMC regulatory requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of cGMP/GLP regulations, ICH, FDA CMC Guidance Documents and DEA Regulations is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects of variable complexity.
- Strong judge of talent with the ability to make tough talent decisions is a minimum requirement.
- Health care business acumen with a comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry is a minimum requirement.
Travel of up to 25% may be required
Notice to Employment / Recruitment Agents:
Employment / Recruitment agents may only submit candidates for vacancies only if they have written authorization to do so from Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takedas Talent Acquisition department. Any agency candidate submission may only be submitted to positions opened to the agency through the specific Agency Portal. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda will only pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented where there is a fully executed contract in place between the Employment / Recruitment agents and Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda and only if the candidate is submitted via the Agency Portal. Candidates submitted or presented by Employment / Recruitment Agents without a fully executed contract or submitted through this site shall not be deemed to form part of any Engagement for which the Agency may claim remuneration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
EEO is the Law -
EEO is the Law Supplement -
Pay Transparency Policy -
Shire, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Takeda, is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-###-#### and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Job ID SR0035727
Check out where you could be
working if you apply.
Job Seekers: Protect yourself against identity theft
Please be aware there are instances of identity thieves posting Takeda-branded jobs and posing as employees to steal personal information. They visit job-related websites and invite candidates to online chats. During the chat, they press job seekers to provide bank account information and Social Security numbers.
At Takeda, we do not ask for personal financial information during telephone, in-person or video interviews. And we are investigating ways to mitigate or stop this scheme. If you have concerns related to this issue, consider the following actions: 1) If in the U.S., place a freeze on your credit reports: 2) file a complaint with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission: and/or 3) file a report with your local police department.
Copyright 1995-2019 Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited. All rights reserved.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...